Wednesday 4 February 2009

Exploding Box - Poppy Cottage

This box was another commission. A friend asked me to make it for her friend Tina's big 'O' birthday. Tina and her partner Dave have the most beautiful garden, in Truro, Cornwall, UK, which they open to the public each year. It's called 'Poppy Cottage Garden' so it was clear what the theme should be.
Here's the link to their garden website - it's well worth a look: http://www.poppycottagegarden.co.uk/

CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO SEE THEM CLOSE UP.



Unfortunately for Tina, my friend Teresa didn't warn her that it was an exploding box and Teresa told me "poor Tina almost fainted when she lifted the lid off her box".

This image gives you some idea of the height of the explosion.

I like to keep the outside simple so that the inside is a surprise. Maybe not quite as much as it was for Tina though!

Box Details:

  • Panels
    Lime green card again. Tinted with VersaColor Lagoon Blue & Marigold.
    Stamped using Perfectly Clear 'Leafy Silhouettes' in VersaColor Evergreen.
    Spot glittered with ultra-fine green glitter.

  • Poppies
    I made a template for these poppies and cut them out from heavy weight red paper.
    Each poppy is made from two layers which I scored and creased before gluing together.
    I finished by dotting black ultra-fine glitter in the centres.

  • Leaves
    These are made using a small daisy leaf die and tinted with VersaColor Evergreen ink

  • Bees
    These were made using 'EJ Honey Bee' stamp set (one I designed myself).
    I stamped onto acetate using black Stazon, cut each bee out and crystal glittered the wings.
    I then stamped onto lightweight card, coloured the bodies using marker pens, cut the bodies out and glued them onto the acetate bees.
    I highlighted the black with ultra-fine, black holographic glitter.

  • Ladybirds
    Small wooden Ladybird embellishments painted with 'Glossy Accents' to give that classic Ladybird glisten.


Thanks for looking.

7 comments:

  1. Oh...one more beutiful box :-D Thank you so much for your lovely comment in my blog. I already wanna do another one. I´m thinking of doing one with hearts in pink for Valentine :)
    Wish you a lovely weekend!
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous creation, Elaine. The poppies are exquisite! and so are the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning, I adore poppies they remind me of my Grandad who passed away in 1984 just before my son was born. He used to take me, my brother and sister for walks through the poppy fields when we were children, so they always have a sentimental meaning for me. I adore what you have done it's stunning.

    hugs Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Do you have the template for the popies? kelli_ctmh@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW, I am in love :)
    Your boxes are beautiful!!
    Absolutely adorable!!

    I will definetly visit your blogg every week!!

    This one with the poppis, the flowers feel real! I love poppies, I even have an oriental poppy on my left shoulder!!

    Thanks for sharing
    luv
    Angelica/Smurfmamman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those poppies are incredible! Love this box!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment I really appreciate you taking the time!
Elaine X